So it's been a long time coming but finally I have managed to complete my Mathilde Blouse as designed by Tilly
As soon as I saw this shirt on Tilly's blog I knew I had to make it. My staple wardrobe is made up of blouses and jeans. I'd already made the colette peony dress at my class and so I thought I might be able to tackle this on my own.
One of the things I really struggled with was fabric choice - not which pattern, but which type of fabric. I'm new to dressmaking fabrics and so didn't know anything about drape, different types etc. So I bought the Fabric for Fashion Swatch Book and read posts on other peoples blogs about how to pick the right fabric for a particular pattern. I'd read some good reviews about Liberty Lawn but knew it was expensive. It was a risk given this would be my first unassisted project but I took my time, followed the amazingly clear instructions on Tilly's blog and I got my blouse!
I narrowed it down to between these two fabric samples:
I went with the light blue as it was summer when I started making this! (ssshhhh!)
I printed the pattern off using the office printer (again ssshhh!) and I thought it would be a right pain to assemble at home. It wasn't. It was really easy.
And the construction was really easy to follow too. I even managed to put french seams in!
It was all going swimmingly and then it was the lead up to Christmas and sewing for me had to stop as I had 2 quilts to make and a bunch of table runners that I wanted to give as presents.
So fast fwd to the new year. Picked it up again early January and really struggled with my buttons. I use a Janome CXL301 and I just couldn't get the automatic button hole to work. So I took it into the lady I did my course with and I'd not been waiting for it to beep once it had put the first button hole in! Hurrah. Easily fixed.
So I went home and put them on right away
don't look too closely as there are a few errors there from the aforementioned buttonhole fiasco!
I also think my neckline is a little high, so I'd maybe make that adjustment next time
And it's slightly tighter than I wanted - but that's my fault.... I cut a bit of the back off as it seemed too big. So I'll just leave it alone next time.... and there will be a next time.
All in all I'm really chuffed with it. I want to do a polka dot one next time!